Buying or selling a confined feeding operation? Here’s what you need to know.

Posted on December 5, 2023 |

If you are planning to buy or sell a confined feeding operation (CFO) you should consider contacting the Natural Resources Conservation Board (NRCB) early in your process. Here’s what you need to know about your rights and obligations under the Agricultural Operation Practices Act (AOPA).

For the buyer

Under AOPA, anyone who buys or otherwise acquires a CFO permit must inform the NRCB of the change in ownership. You can contact your nearest NRCB field office to advise them of the change. Doing so does not confirm the status of the permit, though the NRCB might be able to answer questions.

For the seller

If you are selling your CFO you may want to consider verifying with the NRCB whether your operation’s permit is still valid.

Older operations

For example, if your operation existed, or was permitted by the municipality, before AOPA came into effect on January 1, 2002, you may need to request a grandfathering determination from the NRCB to confirm the status of your CFO. This process can take several months. Click here to read more about the benefits of a formal grandfathering determination and how to request one from the NRCB.

Operations not in use

If your operation has not been used for some time, the NRCB may have to determine whether the operation’s permit is still valid or if the operation is considered abandoned. See the NRCB’s Operational Policy 2016-3: Permit Cancellations under AOPA Section 29 for more information.

For more information, call your local NRCB field office or send us an email:

Peace/North Central regions (Morinville) 780-939-1212
Central region (Red Deer/Airdrie) 403-340-5241
Southern region (Lethbridge) 403-381-5166

(Dial 310-0000 to be connected toll free)